Friday, July 6

Don't Look for Reasons

Suggested Scripture:
Psalm 10

Key Verse:
You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted;
you encourage them, and you listen to their cry.
(Psalm 10:17, NIV)

I have wonderful family and friends. Time and again they have encouraged me when I have struggled. Whenever I lean on them for support, I don't expect them to be able to make my problems go away. I don't ask them to explain why things happen the way they do. All I really need from them is their availability, their prayers, and a listening ear. When they are in need, I do what I can to provide the same sort of encouragement to them.

The ways God brings about his will for his people is not something that can be easily understood. We find ourselves asking why some people have ongoing trials while others appear to live a charmed life. Attempting to find and rhyme or reason in such things can be utterly maddening. When we focus too much on the unfairness of life and the senselessness of suffering, we can become apathetic or bitter towards God.

Instead of calling out to Him for answers and reasons, we should be looking to Him for encouragement. We have a true friend in Jesus. He is there not only to bear the weight of our sins, but to carry the burden for us when we are overwhelmed by life's trials. He may not provide reasons, but He is faithful to strengthen us in heart and spirit.

Reflecting Pool:

Do you ask God for reasons, or for encouragement?

What is overwhelming you today? Do you have a friend to share the burden with you?

How does your prayer life sustain you in times of trial?

Deep Diving

Read the lyrics of the song What A Friend We Have in Jesus and put it into practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: