Monday, May 21

Sharing the Burden

Suggested Scripture: Hebrews 3:1-16

Key Verse: See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Hebrews 3:12,13 (NIV)


For years I was discrete about having a chronic illness. I was afraid that if people knew I had cystic fibrosis, they’d pull away from me. I didn’t want to be known as “the girl with CF.” I craved normalcy and anonymity.

That worked well for a time. However, as I began experiencing more complications, I found I needed to open myself up to others. After all, how could my friends pray for me effectively if they didn’t know what was happening in my life? How could they help shoulder the burden, without knowing just how much weight there was to bear?

My friend Jen once told me that it was my willingness to share my struggles that allowed her to share hers as well. Our friendship has, in fact, been made stronger as we have shared many encouraging conversations and prayer time. God has taken our pain and used it to bring honor and glory to Himself through a remarkable friendship. We have rejoiced in times of healing, prayed in all occasions, and most importantly, sought God’s wisdom together by reading God’s word.

Had I not been willing to make myself vulnerable, I would have missed out on so many blessings. If I had kept to myself about my spiritual struggles, surely my heart would have been hardened.

Reflecting Pool:

Have you ever been afraid to share your weaknesses or spiritual shortcomings with others?

How has God used friendship to encourage you in times of trial?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Gerry said...

Thank you for your willingness to be vulnerable. It is in our imperfection that Christ make is whole and strong. Others watch and can see your reliance on Him which in turn helps them to trust the Great Physician. Many blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: