Tuesday, April 24

The Master's Voice

Suggested Scripture Reading: John 10:1-18

When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.
But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."
John 10:4-5

The little terrier scurried across the parking lot as quickly as his tiny legs could carry him. Seeing that the gleeful fur-ball was about to run into a lane of traffic, I decided to intervene. I knelt down to the pup's level and attempted to call him to me. I patted my hands on the tops of my thighs, and whistled.

After a few moments, the dog walked in my direction with what appeared to be a great deal of hesitation. After all, I was a stranger. Why should he approach me just because I called to him?

Just then, a voice echoed across the courtyard.

"This your dog?" I called to the man.

"Sure is! He got away from me," he explained. "Thanks for holding him."

The pup's tail wagged with glee as he was scooped up in his master's arms. Safe and protected.

Those who belong to God and know his voice should be hesitant to follow the voice of a stranger. When we are surrounded by the distracting voices of the world at large, God's voice can be difficult to hear. There is nothing we stand to gain by running away from him or behaving disobediently. God promises to protect us and love us, but we need to stay within ear shot of his voice.


Reflecting Pool:

How do you know when God is calling you?

What are some voices of "strangers" that you've been tempted to follow?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: