Saturday, April 21

Nothing to Do But Pray

Scripture Reading: Jonah 2:1-10

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God.
Jonah 2:1 (NIV)



Several months ago, I was in poor health. Between Thanksgiving and Valentines Day, I was in and out of the hospital for different complications of cystic fibrosis. My doctor wisely recommended that in order to get back on track, I should take a break and focus mainly on my physical well-being. Initially, I resisted such an idea. The last thing I wanted to do was take things at a slower pace.

God pulled me out of the tossing waves of my busy life and planted me squarely on the couch. For the first two months of recuperation, I was too tired to even read a book; I barely had enough energy to concentrate on praying. As my body healed, so did my spirit. I began praying more often and with greater boldness. Perhaps that's what God wanted me to be doing all along.

Like Jonah, there was little else for me to do in my position other than pray. I learn a lot from such a point of view. Instead of complaining about being knee deep in chum, Jonah thanks God for saving him from the tossing seas. It wasn't until Jonah finished praying that the Lord commanded the creature to spit the prophet onto dry land. At that point, Jonah was ready to take on the challenge of prophesying to the people of Nineveh.

I'm confident that all of the time I have spent in prayer has been purposeful, and is indeed part of God's plan for my life. Wherever he sends me next, I will go faithfully and obediently.



Reflecting Pool:

What role does prayer play in helping you deal with challenges?

What benefits or blessings have you experienced through prayer?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: