Wednesday, August 29

Healing the Hurts

Suggested Scripture
Hebrews 10:19-38

Key Verse:

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
(Hebrews 10:25, NIV)


The body of Christ is just that--a body. It's an intermingling of abilities and functions, all serving a common purpose, which is life. When damaged occurs by illness, injury or infection, the rest of the body works extra hard to compensate for the loss. In time, the hurt begins to heal and the body is whole and strong again.

I have found the same is true in my own life as a member of the church. When I'm having a rough time, my closest and dearest friends offer me help and support out of their storehouses of spiritual health. When I am too weak to pray for my own needs, my Christian brothers and sisters step in and pray for me. Through phone calls, emails, even a surprise visit or two, I am reminded of how much value I have as a part of the greater body. Eventually, my spiritual aches and pains are soothed, and I am able to return to a fully functioning Christian again.

Because God is not physically present in our lives at this moment, each member of the Christian community serves as an extension of his love. Within a body of believers, we can always find someone to give us a hug when we're having a bad day, godly advice in a difficult situation, or a voice of encouragement for our walk with God. Every one of us needs to participate in this form of Christian fellowship so that we are available to love one another in unique ways on a daily basis. We model Christ's love best when we are healing the hurts of our brothers and sisters.


Reflecting Pool:



1. Do you find it difficult to ask for help when you're hurting?

2.How has the church been helpful to heal your hurts?

3. What is something you can do to be a blessing to a member of the church who may need some spiritual or emotional healing today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: