Tuesday, July 24

The Comfort of a Friend

Suggested Scripture
Job 2:1-13

Key Verse
Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.
(Job 2:12-13, NIV)

When I thought about whom I wanted to stand beside me as bridesmaids at my wedding, the choices were clear. Family ties aside, each of the young women I selected had proven time and again to be a loyal and loving friend. Inviting them to serve as witnesses to that wonderful triumph of God's providence in my life was appropriate, since they had also weathered the storms of life's tragedies with me.

My dearest and closest friends have seen me at my best and at my worst. Over the years we have leaned on one another for comfort and compassion in times of trial. We have shared sincere joy, celebrating with laughter and hugs. The thing I appreciate most about my friends is that they know my heart and I know theirs. Whether or not we have the right words for a particular situation is unimportant. What matters most is that we know we can count on each other to be there, even when things get tough.

Were it not for the comfort and compassion of close friends and loving family, life's challenges would be too much to bear. Job's friends may not have known exactly how to respond to his pain and suffering, but they cared enough about him to sit beside him. They reassured him simply by showing up, even without being asked to do so. They gave up their own comfort for an entire week so that they could mourn with a friend.


Reflecting Pool

Are your friends the type you can lean on when things get tough?

What do you appreciate most about your closest friend?

Do you find it difficult to reach out to your friends when they are hurting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: