Thursday, March 27

Sharp Words

Suggested Scripture

Proverbs 25:9-12

Key Verse

A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. (Proverbs 25:11, NIV)

I was standing in front of the mirror drying my hair when I felt stinging, burning sensation on my right shin. I reached down to scratch it and was shocked to discover that I was bleeding. The razor I had used to shave my legs had left a rather nasty gash, deep enough to require a band-aid. In my haste I hadn’t given enough consideration to my sensitive skin. The result was painful.

From time to time I am hasty with my words. I write or say things to someone without given enough consideration to how my words may be received. When that happens I end up hurting that person, sometimes to the point of putting a strain on our friendship. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a band-aid to heal the deep gashes inflicted by our sharp words.

God has given us the gift of speech. We need to make sure that our words are aptly spoken, and presented to our brothers and sisters in such a way that they do not harm them. Even when we have an admonishment or words of caution for them, we need to ask God to give us the wisdom to speak our words in friendship and love.

Reflecting Pool

When have your words hurt a friend?

How have painful words caused you to feel humbled?

Do you ask God to set a guard over your mouth?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: