Thursday, January 3

Saying No to Temptation

Suggested Scripture
Titus 2

Key Verse
“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,”
- Titus 2:11-12, NIV)

One of my biggest weaknesses is food. Having cystic fibrosis means that there are really no restrictions on what I can and cannot eat. Things that other people should have in moderation--salt, fat, carbs--I get to have in abundance. However, there are limits. I don't like being told I need to wait for something, or worse yet, that I cannot have it.

During a recent hospitalization, I was permitted to have only sips of water. I resisted and rebelled. I begged my husband to smuggle me some "real" food. A sandwich perhaps. Maybe even some crackers. Wisely, my husband told me "no" and patiently explained to me that although that might help satisfy my immediate hunger, disobeying doctors orders would likely result in a longer hospital stay, not to mention serious discomfort. His argument was convincing and I stopped asking for things I knew I shouldn't have.

When God provides for us, he meets our most basic needs. When we fully trust in Him and his plan to bring us good and not harm, we experience the fullness and satisfaction of peace. By grace we are given access to things that are far superior to that which the world has to offer. Things of the world may still appeal to our sinful nature and attempt to entice us into disobedience, but the strength we get from God is enough to prompt us to say "no," knowing that God has more for us than we can even imagine.

Reflecting Pool:

In what ways have you failed to say "No" in the past year?

Do you actively seek God's approval for the things you want to say "yes" to?

When has the failure to say "no" gotten you into trouble?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: