Friday, January 18

New Desk, Old Desk

Suggested Scripture:
Matthew 7

Key Verse:

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds;
and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:8, NIV)

Several of my coworkers and I are being moved to a new office location this weekend. Part of our preparatory work has been to pack up our files and personal items, and draw diagrams of how we'd like our furniture to be set up in the new office. We were also given the option of ordering new furniture, which would be ready for us when we arrived. I opted for the new furniture. I put in my request on time, filled out the right forms and settled in with the rest of my packing, excited about how great the new stuff was going to look.

Today was moving day and upon my arrival at the office I was informed that the furniture I wanted was on back order. Instead of a nice shiny new desk waiting for me in the office next week, I would be sitting at someone's old desk. Considering that the alternative was no desk at all, I guess I'll have to make the best of things while I wait.

When we make our requests to God, waiting for his answer can be difficult. When we don't get the answer we want, or if we don't think God is dealing with us quickly enough, we let our emotions get the better of us. Instead of rejoicing at his provision, we grumble and complain, thinking that somehow we must not matter to God.

Instead of grumbling when God answers in ways that frustrate or confuse us, we should look for ways to rejoice in his provision. God cares about all of our needs, and blesses us in the ways that he knows to be best. When you find yourself sitting at an old desk when you were expecting a new one, just be glad you have a place to sit and get to work; the nicer furniture is on its way.

Reflecting Pool:

Have you ever felt like God has put you on hold?

When prayers aren't answered in the ways you expect, how do you cope?

What's something you've asked God for but didn't receive. What did he give you instead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: