Friday, March 21

Stranded


Suggested Scripture
Luke 23:26-43

Key Verse
Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him,
"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
(Luke 23:42-43, NIV)


The fuel gauge was on E. Very E. I was pressing my luck and I knew it. My car being a hybrid, I thought it had enough power to cruise through Weinerschnitzel before I stopped at a gas station. I was wrong. Just as I pulled into gas station my car stopped, dead in its tracks.

One man saw my plight and came over to help. He pushed my car the last 100 feet or so to the pump. I thanked him for his assistance and he smiled politely and said “no problem, you’re welcome.” With a wave he got into his own truck and drove away.

I thought about that all night. Just as I was selfish and stubborn to think I didn’t need gas, so was the thief on the cross who didn’t think he had need of Jesus. The man’s life was about to end completely, still he refused to acknowledge and accept the one thing that could save him.

Then there was the other criminal. He knew he had reached the end of the line and made one final plea for mercy. Keenly aware of what he had done wrong, he resolved not to squander another breath until he asked salvation from the one man in their midst who had never done anything wrong. Christ forgave him and brought him into paradise.

I deserved to be stranded with my car because I hadn’t heeded the warnings that I was out of gas. Thankfully, someone came to my rescue and brought me to the place where I was out of harm’s way. Jesus had come to do just that. Whether we recognize it early in life or at the last minute, Christ has saved us from the punishment we deserve.

Reflecting Pool

When has your stubbornness gotten you into trouble?

Have you ever felt “stranded” spiritually?

Does your pride keep you from asking for help?

How has Christ saved you from being stranded in this world?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: