Wednesday, April 11

House Rules

...because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. --Hebrews 12:6 (NIV)

During my adolescents, my parents were diligent about monitoring my TV viewing habits. I was allowed to rent R-rated movies, but with the condition that Mom or Dad had to watch it with me. I brought a certain Academy Award winning film home one weekend, and settled back on the couch to watch it with Dad. Within 20 minutes our ears had been assailed by many utterances of the f-word. Dad took 3 long-legged strides over the the VCR, ejected the tape, and told me that I was never to bring anything like that into the house again.

I tried arguing with my dad that the story was great and that I just "had to see it." Dad would have none of it. I whined that all my friends at church had seen it and that their parents didn't have a problem with it.

"I'm not your friends' Dad. I make the rules for you, not for them."

I deeply love and respect my dad. Over the years I came to realize that the house rules that I thought were intrusive, were really just an extension of his love for me. Like our Heavenly Father, Dad's rules and the way he disciplined for disobedience, were always in the right measure and most beneficial. My character and integrity was undoubtedly shaped by the house rules and the enforcement thereof.

The same is true of the way God disciplines those he calls sons. He corrects, rebukes, and trains us in righteousness. Without such discipline and direction, we would be spiritually immature, and unable to tell right from wrong.



Reflecting Pool

What house rule do you appreciate more in hindsight?
How does being disciplined by God make us more mature?








Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: