Thursday, September 13

Something to Drink

Suggested Scripture:
Matthew 25:31-40

Key Verse:
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you,
or thirsty and give you something to drink?
(Matt. 25:37, NIV)

The line at McDonald's was at least 11 people long and comprised mostly of high school students. The group of young men in front of me was busy counting their pocket change and studying the menu to see just how much food they could get for a few dollars.

"Hey man, buy me a cheeseburger," one said to his classmates.

"I can't, I've only got enough for me," came the reply.

"Man, I thought you were my friend!" responded the first boy. Undeterred, he approached another of his peers.

"Dude, c'mon, just buy me a cold drink."

I watched this exchange take place for several minutes. I considered buying the kid a soda just to shut him up. As I was about to place my order, I saw someone else out of the corner of my eye. His ragged figure was so slender and sunburned, I felt empathetic pain just looking at him. His worn out clothing, disheveled hair and beard were quite dirty. Behind his chapped lips he had no teeth.

Quietly, he spoke. "May I please have some water?"

The woman behind the counter disgustedly shoved a paper cup in his direction. I couldn't help but notice how small the cup was, and she hadn't even filled it to the top. Eager to return to the paying customers, she hardly even acknowledged the man. I heard him let out a weary sigh before heading back out the door. I wondered if he had anywhere to go, or if he'd had anything to eat that day. My instincts told me he had not.

What a contrast that man's request for water was to the student who was asking for a cheeseburger and soda. The one who didn't need the extra food was probably going to get it while that man went hungry. The man hadn't asked for much. As I watched him walk away, I prayed that God would meet his needs. I also asked God to forgive me not taking the opportunity to help my neighbor in need.

Reflecting Pool

Have you ever been too afraid to help someone?

Do you make the most of your opportunities to help others?

Do you feel entitled to the blessings God has given you, or do you accept His gifts humbly?

What is it that keeps you from giving to someone in need?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: