Friday, September 7

God Satisfies

Suggested Scripture:
Deuteronomy 8:1-18

Key Verse:
He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

(Deuteronomy 8:3
, NIV)

During my workday I'm constantly noshing on Rold Gold tiny twists. This snacking habit is driven in part by caloric need, but also by a craving for salty snacks. In other words, not only is it a necessity, but also a source of pleasure. The only other habit I have that I need and enjoy is my time spent with God.

When I'm engaged in my personal quiet time with God, I read His word and communicate with Him through prayer. Some days I write about what I've read, and other times I choose to commit particularly meaningful verse to memory. There are days when my spiritual appetite is only enough to enable me to nibble at scripture, but there are others when I devour entire passages before I'm content. Whether I take in a little or a lot of God's word, I am always satisfied. God never fails to give me just the right amounts of what I need at the appropriate times.

It has been said that hunger is the best seasoning. It can be tempting to attempt to fill our emptiness by ingesting whatever looks the most appealing at the moment. Only God can provide the satisfaction we don't even realize we crave. As I have hungered and thirsted after Him for all these years, I have been blessed in tremendous ways. I've tasted and I've seen that the Lord is good.

Reflecting Pool:

Do you regularly feed on God's Word?

How does God satisfy your spiritual hunger?

What aspect of God's righteousness or His character "tastes" the sweetest to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: