Saturday, April 9

Waiting With Hope

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. --Psalm 130:5

Waiting for things is difficult. I often struggle to exercise the virtue of patience, especially when it comes to dealing with certain people. Sometimes this carries over into my spiritual life and I become impatient with God and his plan. I have to remind myself of this verse, and the promise of hope that comes from having faith in his word.

By putting my hope in God's word, I gain an appreciation for how different God's ways are from my own. I am glad that God is always faithful to keep his promises, even if it means that I have to wait to see his plan unfold. Although I may not always understand God's reasons for making me wait for certain things, I've come to learn that when God does let me in on his plan, he will bless me in ways I couldn't have imagined. When I lose sight of the long term goals, I get impatient and try to make things happen, sometimes failing to include God in my own plans.

When I think about waiting, I am reminded of the story of Abraham and how long he had to wait to see God's promise fulfilled. God promised Abraham that he would be the father of a nation that was a great in number as the stars in the heavens. God certainly took his time in bringing about the reality of that covenant. I think that there must have been quite a few nights when Abraham gazed up at the stars and wondered "when, Lord?"

When we put our hope in God, we need to exercise our faith. True faith means that we believe everything God has told us, even if it makes no logical sense. Believing in God and his promises takes a great deal of faith at times. Faith is being sure of what he hope for, and certain of that which we do not see (Hebrews 11:1). God's plan promises to give us a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11). God is faithful to honor his promises to us because he loves us. 1st Corinthians chapter 13 says that these three remain: faith, hope and love. I'm awed by the way that all of those fit together as they relate to waiting on the Lord and putting our hope in him.

God's plan is perfect, and the completion of faith, hope and love is only seen when we exercise the patience necessary to wait on the Lord. I wait with hope as God's will unfolds daily in my life. My soul waits for the fulfilment of his promises to me and his church. As I wait, I put my hope in his word.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: