Friday, March 25

Your Love, Oh Lord

For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. --Psalm 108:4

If you are at all familiar with the Christian band "3rd Day", then you've most likely heard words of this Psalm echoed in the song "Your Love, Oh Lord". King David, who is called a man after God's own heart, must have known God on an incredible level to be able to pain such a picture of expansiveness of his love. The words of the Psalm and the way they're set to music by 3rd Day, truly reflect an attitude of worship and adoration of the creator of the universe.

"Your love, Oh Lord, reaches to the heavens.
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains...
your justice flows like the ocean's tide.
I will lift my voice to worship you my King.
And I will find my strength in the shadow of your wings..."

I am awed by the words of Psalm 108, especially the description of the extent of God's love and faithfulness. His love reaches higher than the heavens and his faithfulness reaches the skies. Even though we may know the Creator of such a perfect kind of love, we all too often fail to match his standard. The love we offer each other, although a reflection of God's love, will never be as awesome as the love that pours down directly from him.

Awhile back I read the book "When God Writes Your Love Story" by Eric and Leslie Ludy. As evidenced by their story, God is not only the author and perfector of our faith, but he has also penned some pretty wonderful love stories (my own included!) Since love and faithfulness go hand in hand, it makes sense to me that the only one who has been able to do that perfectly has been God. Even the greatest of the world's love stories cannot compare to the love story that unfolded more than two thousand years ago when Christ died on the cross for our sins.

God's love is greater than we can even imagine. I am so humbled that of all the people in the world, he chooses to extend that love to me personally. During the Easter season, I am especially mindful of the way God has demonstrated his love to me. Being loved in and of itself is such a tremendous blessing. Being loved with the promise of faithfulness is even more powerful. For God to call me by name and tell me that he loves me is overwhelming. I hope I never get used to it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: