Monday, February 21

To Put it Simply

The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone? --Ecclesiastes 6:11

I'm a lot like my dad in the fact that I usually don't have much trouble starting up or carrying on a conversation with just about anyone. In some cases, such as when I interviewed for my present job, this serves me quite well. Other times I have the unfortunate ability to be amused by the sound of my own voice. When I speak before I think, my words can get me into trouble or create a mildly uncomfortable situation. The phrase "open mouth, insert foot" has applied to me on more than one occasion.

This verse reminds me that it's much better to say only a few things and have them be important, rather than jabber on for the mere sake of having something to say. In other words, short and sweet is often the best type of response.

Some of my closest friends are the introverted types who really seem to talk all that much, but when they do, it's most often a clear statement that makes a lot of sense. There are many examples that come to mind of times when I've tried to explain something and I just keep talking and talking trying to make someone understand my point. Then one of my friends will step in after having sat very quietly for a moment, and say with succinct confidence the very thing I was trying to communicate.

When it comes to sharing our faith with others, we need to rely on God to give us the right words at the right time. If someone doesn't understand what we're trying to say the first time around, then maybe we need to back off and give that person a chance to absorb the conversation. A straightforward and simple approach is best. Too many words can get confusing really quickly. A person who is confused is likely to start feeling uncomfortable which makes them less likely to want to understand what it is we're talking about in the first place.

Put simply: put it simply.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: