Wednesday, February 2

Writer's Block

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. --Eccelsiastes 5:2

One look at the title of today's post and you can probably venture a guess as to why the Verse of the Day blog has been rather dormant lately. Even though I have been seeing evidence of God's presence in my life throughout the last week or so, actually putting it into words in my usual fashion has been difficult.

I used to think that was a bad thing. I used to think that writer's block was something that happened when life got too overwhelming or when there wasn't anything interesting going on. I now feel that it is perfectly okay for me to spend time internalizing the things that I see God doing in my life without necessarily commenting on them in written form. Sometimes there simply aren't enough words or the right words to express certain experiences--good or bad, extraordinary or average.

According to today's verse, we are told that it is acceptable and even preferable that we keep our wordiness to a minimum when in God's presence. In thinking about my recent shortage of words, I was reminded of a song I once wrote about that very topic. In the context of Ecclesiastes 5:2, I think it outlines many of the things for which we are to remain in awed silence when contemplating who God is and the ways he has shown us his character through his actions of loving-kindness and grace.


"There are No Words"

There are no words to describe your love
it's as boundless as the sea.
You're seated high in heav'n above
yet you've extended your hand to me.

There are no words to describe your grace
it's a gift you give so freely.
I've made mistakes I can't erase
but you make them all cease to be.

Nothing I could do or say
would be able to convey
all that you've allowed me to see.
No words seem to fit.
No description is appropriate.
There are no words.

There are no words to describe your pow'r
you're in charge of all the earth.
You command each season, each hour,
yet in me you find great worth.

There are no words to describe you.
But oh! So much to say.
So I will praise you for all you are
and run to you each new day.















Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: