Thursday, November 11

Parallel Soldiers

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. --2 Corinthians 10:3-4a.

The subject of war will always be controversial. There are many who believe that the number of innocents lost in the course of any war cannot be justified. In a way I agree. However, I am struck by the realization that the whole reason I am free is because of the death (and resurrection) of the only true innocent this world has ever seen.

Jesus fought for us on the spiritual battle-ground. He was sent to the front lines of a war that dates back to the earliest part of human existence. In spiritual warfare, the loss of an innocent turned the tide for all time, ultimately ensuring a victory for the kingdom of God. Without Christ's sacrifice, we would never have been able to live free from the regime of a powerful enemy.

Today is Veteran's Day. I am proud of both of my grandfathers who served as soldiers during WWII. I am proud that they served our country with honor. So much of what I have today is because of their participation in history-making events. I am thankful for the sacrifices they made to help ensure freedom for future generations.

"Parallel Soldiers"

There are black and white pictures
in a leather-bound book
that were taken somewhere in Germany.
A handsome young man
with his uniform and gun
stares up from the page at me.
He could not have known then
and he could not have really foreseen
that the freedom he fought for
was not just his own,
but for his wife and future family.

My life is one of privilege;
I am blessed with liberty.
It's because of that young man
in the black and white pictures
taken somewhere in Germany.

There are black and red letters
in a leather-bound book--
the B-I-B-L-E.
They tell of a Savior,
a young man named Jesus
who laid down his life for me.
He was God incarnate;
perfect and so holy.
And he fought for my freedom,
paid the price for my sins
upon the cross at Calvary.

My life is one of privilege.
I am blessed to be set free.
It's because of that young man,
who really did live
and died for my family and me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: