Monday, October 25

Enslaved No More

But now that you know God-or rather are known by God-how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? --Galatians 4:9

This verse rings especially true for me lately. I am not someone who deals very well with change, and over the last few months I have been nearly overwhelmed by change. I have recently been battling feelings of frustration and low self-esteem as the result of feeling "out of my element". I confessed to my husband the other night that those feelings had presented themselves to me numerous times throughout the last decade of my life. My husband wisely commented that it is not unlikely that those feelings have their roots in an less than thriving relationship with God.

He was right. I have noticed that in the times when my spiritual life starts to wane, the rest of my life also takes an unpleasant dip. When our hearts are not as full of God's love and joy as they should be, we attempt to fill our lives in other ways. We all long for satisfaction, a sense of belonging, and a sense of feeling complete or fulfilled. Unfortunately, there is nothing on earth that can fill the desires of our hearts and souls like God can.

Time spent with God in a growing, vibrant relationship with him is the only way to keep the things of the world at bay. If we occupy ourselves with things that aren't conducive to a godly lifestyle, we run the risk of becoming entangled in sinfulness and emptiness. The more we chase after those things, the more we stand to lose. The more we lose, the more lonely we feel. Before long it becomes a vicious cycle as we try to find fulfillment but only end up becoming enslaved by ungodly desires.

I am thankful that my husband suggested that I step up the pace in my walk with God. I am glad that although my walk has not been as strong as it could be, I have not stopped walking. Even more importantly, I am glad that I have not reversed direction and become enslaved by weak and miserable principles. I know God, and I belong fully to him. He deserves my full attention and a great deal more of my time. My life will always be full of changes that may put me "out of my element" but God is constant. When changes come that take away things that were familiar or comfortable, God's presence will fill me completely in their absence.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: