Tuesday, December 26

Memorable Names

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. --Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)

People have trouble pronouncing my last name. I have heard just about every conceivable mispronunciation of my first name as well. When I introduce myself, I make certain that the second syllable of "Lauren" is heard clearly, otherwise I may have to answer to Laura, Laurie or Lorna for the remainder of the conversation. There is nothing wrong with those names of course, it's just that none of them are MY name.

I, like most people feel a bit slighted when the proper spelling or pronunciation of his or her name is overlooked or disregarded. One cannot help but take it personally when something so personal as a name is passed over discourteously.

There are times when I feel as though I have only just been introduced to God and have to be reminded of how to correctly pronounce His name. The last thing I want to do is fail to recognize Him with the appropriate reverence. I know that His name is the name above all names. Furthermore, God the Father is one and the same with the infant born to Mary and raised as Joseph's son. Jesus the Christ is King of the Jews as was mockingly attributed to him the night of his crucifixion. Centuries before the Messiah made his appearance, his name was determined.

Wonderful Counselor. Mighty God. Everlasting Father. Prince of Peace.

I am fascinated by those names, and even more so when I consider them in light of God's character. The great I AM has seen fit to dwell among us in human form, not to experience life, but to save us from death. That is what makes His name worth calling upon and worth remembering.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: