Wednesday, August 9

Securely Anchored

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. --Hebrews 6:19-20a (NIV)

Lately my mom has been helping me unpack and decorate in my new home. Over the last couple of days we've progressed to the ever-challenging window treatments. Once I finally decided on the draperies I wanted for the bedroom, living room and guest room, we had to find suitable curtain rods--something that provided the perfect combination of form and function. I'll spare you the frustrating details, but let's just say that although my mom and I are talented, creative and artistic in many ways, drapery hardware challenges us.

One piece of hardware with which I've become familiar in the last 72 hours is the drywall anchor. I'm amazed at the ingenuity behind this unassuming little piece of plastic. The purpose of the drywall anchor is to hold the a screw in place. It goes into a pre-drilled hole in the wall, then when the screw is put into place, it expands, sort of like an umbrella, and tightens into the hole in the wall. This provides a much stronger hold than if the screw had just been inserted into the drywall. This is especially useful for holding up things like curtain rods, which have to handle a substantial amount of weight.

Without Christ as my anchor, I wouldn't be able to stand under the weight of the things that life throws at me sometimes. I would probably be able to hold myself up for a little while--I might even look pretty good doing it--but eventually I would collapse. Because of who I am in Christ, I know that there is nothing on this earth that I have to face alone. He is unmoving and unchanging. He provides a place where I can rest securely in him. Ultimately, it is by his strength and not my own that I am made strong.

My heavenly Father has provided an anchor for my soul in his Son, Jesus Christ. It is in him that I find strength and security. This is not only in my day to day life, but also in the hope I have for what lies beyond this life. My faith, which is fervently grounded is Christ, ensures my place in heaven. My faith and my hope are tied together and secured by the anchor that is Jesus Christ.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: