Monday, April 24

Fighting On My Knees

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. --Romans 8:26-27

Throughout the last year, God has been revealing to me the incredible power of prayer. I have come to see that prayer is not just about asking God for things. Nor is it solely for thanking Him for the many blessings that he bestows upon me. Prayer is a way for me to converse with God. It is a means for connecting me, a lowly creature, with the power of the Almighty Creator.

Still, prayer’s power goes just beyond conversing with the Holy One. Prayer is my most effective method of fighting in the ongoing battle between good and evil—a battle where souls are at stake and lives are either gained or lost for all eternity.

Lately I have felt myself becoming somewhat battle-weary. As my desire to pray becomes more intense, the enemy will do whatever it takes to stop me. I constantly struggle to hold my train of thought, and I become frustrated with myself for not being able to concentrate fully on God. Still, I know that for my prayers to be effective, I do not have to worry about having the perfect words.

There are times in prayer when words fail me. I have come to think of those instances as having “losing my breath”, spiritually speaking. God hears the longings of my heart that never manifest as clear, coherent words. It is in those moments that I rely on the Holy Spirit to intervene for me and carry my prayers to the Father for me. Even when I’m on my knees, gasping from the battle, I am still fighting.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger ~Jan said...

Losing one's spiritual breath is a very apt metaphor. Beautifully written, and I'm very happy to have found your site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: