Thursday, February 23

Pecans, Peanuts and...Potatoes?

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.-- Psalm 34:8

I'm a "foodie". Not only do I enjoy eating, but I pay a lot of attention to how things taste and what the ingredients are. Last night I prepared a hot fudge sundae for myself after dinner. As I was sprinkling on some granulated mixed nuts, I read the label. Serving size 2tbsp; calories 100 etc. When I got to the ingredients list, I was amused to discover that in addition to pecans, peanuts, filberts, Brazil nuts--which incidentally are a type of seed and not a nut--the nut topping contained potato.

Potato?

If I had to decide whether I wanted to use those mixed nuts as a topping for my ice cream based on ingredients alone, I think I would have declined. In my mind the foods potato and ice cream do not mix. In fact, they are so different in flavor that I almost gag just thinking about a hot fudge sundae with potato-nut topping. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

There are times when our life is sprinkled with some very unappealing ingredients. God has a way of using the things that are bitter or unsavory and making them into a more appetizing blend. All of us go through periods where life makes sense for the most part. Things go smoothly and we are able to experience a satisfying peace.

When we least expect it, the status quo can change on us. The important thing to remember is that the challenging parts of life are nothing more than a different ingredient being tossed into the mix to add flavor. At first we may not like the way it tastes, especially if it is initially overpowering. Over time, God gives us the appetite we need to be able to taste and see that the things He allows --as part of the flavor of our lives-- are good. When we put our hope in Him and trust Him as our constant refuge, even life's stomach-churning recipes can be salvaged.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: