Friday, February 3

There's a Place for Us

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. --John 14:2

When I was first hired at my current job nearly 2 years ago, I was given the only workstation that was available at the time. Although I put photos on the bulletin board and brought a houseplant or two to make the place more personalized, I never quite settled in. In the back of my mind, I always felt that the office I was in was only mine temporarily. This feeling was probably enhanced by the fact that I didn't even bother to order any business cards to be used as the nameplate beside my door.

Nearly six weeks have passed since I moved into my new office at work. It's really not that different from the office in the other building, except that this time I got to have a choice about where I wanted my office furniture to be place. The most notable difference is that I now have my business card proudly displayed to indicate that I am the occupant of office number W-2083.

As Christians we reside in a temporary place. Here on earth, we may try to make things comfortable, pleasant and enjoyable, but the truth is, we don't get to stay here. Our lives are fleeting and no matter how influential or important we think we are, very few of us will actually make an indelible mark on history.

Christ has prepared a place for us that we get to occupy once our life on earth is complete. Our heavenly home is more than just a room with an incredible view. In our heavenly Father's house we will find the peace, comfort, and joy that we have longed for on the earth. We will need nothing to make us feel "at home", because we will never feel out of place as we are gathered for eternity in the presence of a holy God. Jesus' words about our Father's home and its many rooms (or mansions, depending on your version of the Bible) remind us that we are to be keeping our focus heavenward, rather than letting our identity be caught up in the temporary things of the imperfect world in which we live.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: