Tuesday, November 8

Hovering by the Heater

My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. --Psalm 119:50

I like being warm and comfortable.

When I was growing up, my parents had a space heater that we kept in the bathroom. Whenever I took a bath, I would set it up a few feet from the tub and let it run for awhile. Upon climbing out of the bathtub, I would wrap myself in a pre-warmed towel, and sit curled in front of the heater until I was warm enough and dry enough to finish putting on my pajamas and go to bed. The time that I spent sitting there was not only functional (I was able to dry off more quickly) but relaxing and calming.

To some extent, each of us craves comfort and security. Much to our dismay, we go through times where life isn't as warm and comfortable as we would prefer. In times of trial we may find ourselves practically immobilized, shivering uncontrollably, and unsure of where to turn. No matter what the situation, God is always near to His people. He is never far off. In our most helpless state, we can hover in His presence and gradually be renewed in strength and comfort.

Each of us is unique, and so are the circumstances of our lives. God has planned our individual paths and the time frames required for accomplishing our purpose within His will. His promise--the promise of salvation and the hope we have in knowing that sorrow only reigns for a time--preserves our lives. We don't ever need to feel ashamed or embarrassed if it takes us longer to "dry off and warm up" than it does for our friends. We are all equipped differently with our spiritual strengths and weaknesses, and as a result, we all respond to trials in a manner that is consistent with our personalities.

Being warm and comfortable is nice, but what's even better is the knowledge that I have a place I can go to when I start to shiver. God is able to fill me with a sense of peace and contentment even when I find myself left out in the cold. His promise to sustain my life is as welcoming and appealing to me as the thought of flannel pajamas on a winter night.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I've been receiving your emails and they are awesome. I work with your aunt and she is the one that told me about your site and your gift for writing....
I really like this analogy of the heater and God's warmth in times of trials. Thaks for reminding me that He is never too far away...I will rest in that promise tonight!
God bless you....

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Thank you for your kind words, Olga. I will be praying that as you rest in God's promise, He will fill you with comfort and peace.

Blessings to you.

<><

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: