Friday, September 30

It's Not About Me

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. --Galatians 1:10

Today as I sat down to write, I was convicted of my egotistical thought processes. Rather than engage in an exercise that drew me into a pattern of communication with God, I had developed the attitude that the things I write about are about me. "What do I want to write about today?" I wondered. In a moment of guilt I recognized my selfishness; it's not about me. It's not about imposing my particular lifestyle on others or subjecting them to my ideological musings. The whole point of anything I do needs to be about God.

The Holy Spirit pricked my conscience and reminded me that when it comes to making an impact on others, God is the one at the helm and I am just along for the ride. He is the real and ultimate driving force in life. Unless I yield to Him, conforming my will into His, it won't be long before I become nothing more than unappealing flotsam in the sea of life.

God is believably powerful. I am miniscule, He is magnificent. He works in ways that none of us can imagine or fully comprehend. The depths of His wisdom and knowledge surpass the abilities of the greatest thinkers of our time. His capabilities reach beyond the limits of human innovation. His deeds are innumerable. His mercy is unfathomable. His grace is irresistible.

Anything good that I am or have is because of God's rich and abundant blessings in my life. Because of His unending goodness, I lack nothing. Who am I to brazenly put myself in any position other than one of humility and gratitude? Who am I to assume that I have control over my life? Without Christ I am nothing. Without God's love, I cease to exist.

Every one of my actions and thoughts should be motivated by this realization. It is far more important to serve Christ above man--and that includes any attempt to please myself.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: