Friday, August 6

Strong Relationships

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. --Ecclesiastes 4:12

Parts of this selection originally appeared in email form on 12/7/00

The influence of Christian family and friends is one of the biggest blessings in my life. I consider myself very fortunate to have so many people who support me with prayer, and who can encourage me in my walk with God. There are times when I am truly amazed at the sheer number of people whom God has placed in my life. I realize that not everyone may have as many fellow believers in his or her life. I have some friends who are the only Christian in their entire extended family, and sometimes feel very lonely because of that fact.

As I thought about this verse, A few different things came to mind. One is the old saying "no man is an island." That is quite true, especially for Christians. We are all members of the body of Christ, which includes many people. However, there are times when we are isolated from fellowship with other Christians or feel lonely. Even in those times, we are not alone. God is with us at all times, no matter what.

Another thing I thought of is the fact that there is "safety in numbers". As Christians we are all spiritually assaulted on a daily basis. The enemy attacks us in many different ways, and standing up to temptations can be difficult. Accountablity within the Christian community is important because it gives us a chance to strengthen the relationship of fellowship we have with other believers, as well as give the light of our witness to shine more brightly.

God blesses us with friends. There was a time when I thought that I would become happier if I just had more friends. Based on this verse, it looks like all I really need to fulfill the social part of my spiritual life is to have God and at least one other person who has a close, intimate, growing walk with Him. I am blessed to have exactly those kind of relationships and I hope that those who do not, will be blessed with them soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Would you like to receive Pools of Grace in your email?
Enter email and click Subscribe: